The kick-off to the Christmas season began tonight with our city’s Santa Claus parade.
It was a somewhat odd collection including community groups, decorated vehicles advertising local businesses, the occasional protester, old-timey fire trucks, one sad junior high marching band, some clowns, and about a dozen sketchy-looking guys selling $10 glow sticks to the desperate parents of impatient kids. Santa himself came at the very end of the parade, after everyone was freezing. It was pretty magical for Bean, who is newly obsessed with Christmas lights and Santa and all things merry and bright.
Highlights for me:
- A tiny, frozen gymnast unable to get out of her splits.
- Bean narrating the entire parade with dubious accuracy from his perch on D’s shoulders. My favourite: “Look! A bear in an ambulance!” It was a dog in a police boat.
- A fire in (or maybe beside) the bakery on the corner. Clouds of smoke started billowing towards where we were standing, and a woman walking past told us the place was on fire. We had just started to pack up when the smoke stopped, so I guess someone put it out. Excitement.
- A mouse in pajamas. Called Pajama Mouse.
Highlights for Bean:
- Dogs on a truck!
- A snowman on a truck!
- Another snowman on another truck!
- A green Santa guy!
- A dog with lights on him!
- A delivery truck with a picture of strawberries and apples! (It was raspberries and peaches.)
Highlights for Monkey:
- When I breathed on his face to warm up his little nose. He’s not much into the parades yet.
Highlights for D:
- The end of the parade, when he got to lift Bean down from his shoulders.